Wednesday, June 10, 2009

One week until takeoff

People keep asking me if I'm excited, and...the answer is a resolute ...no! I need to make sure that my kids pass their biology classes and it's stressing me out because I won't start packing until finals are done.

BUT! I am now scuba certified. Bad news is... It's 57 degrees in Melbourne...and it's rainy AND NPR said this morning that there's a swine flu outbreak in South Australia. They said that Australia is the tipping point in announcing a world-wide pandemic. It's weird how timing is everything because conditions suggest that I'll be cold, increase my exposure to a flu pandemic, and be on a plane for about 16 hours. The immune system is a resistant and beautiful thing, but it's failed quite a few swine flu victims.

Question: Does increased exposure to different flu strains increase immune resistance to future flu strains?